Activity – What is this tree? Level 4
Achievement Objectives - Whāinga Paetae: Te Aka
4.2 Make detailed scientific classifications of some organisms. Te Marautanga o Aotearoa: (p.101) Te Ao Tūroa, Te Rauropi 2
I will be able to:
- describe the shapes of different leaves and their arrangement on the stem
- share my identification key with others
- I can describe the shapes of different leaves and their arrangement on the stem. ☺
- I can design an identification key for different types of leaves. ☺
- I can demonstrate my identification key to others. ☺
[[Insert photos of mahoe, rewarewa,horopito, rangiora and tarata leaves. By clicking on the leaf the name of the tree appears.]
[[Link to printable photographs of mahoe, rewarewa,horopito, rangiora and tarata – leaves actual size. By clicking on the leaf its name appears.]
Print life size photos of the above leaves and try to find out their names using the identification key from ‘What is this tree?’
Is it difficult to find out their names? That is because these leaves are not included in this key. If you click on each leaf you will find out the names of these trees.
You will need to write your own identification key for these leaves. Your identification key will use YES/ NO questions. When you have completed this, print off the pictures of the leaves and ask a friend if they can find out the name of the leaf using your key.